Preparing for Makeup
Just as paint goes on better to a well prepared canvas, so it’s the same with makeup. With packages including complimentary makeup for one person, here are a few tips to ensure you will look amazing in your photos.
- The days leading up to your session are not the time to try things like chemical peels, skin needling and other invasive facial treatments. Such treatments leave your skin sensitive and there’s no predicting how your skin will react to them, or whether it will be fully healed in time for your session.
- If you’d like to do a skin mask, ensure you do so three days before your session so your skin has a chance to settle.
- Exfoliate! Makeup goes on and looks much better on skin that’s freshly exfoliated, ideally the day before your session. Don’t forget your lips either, especially if you plan on wearing darker or shimmer/metallic lipsticks. For a healthy glow, give yourself a full body exfoliation and follow it up with plenty of moisturiser.
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen and to keep yourself well hydrated as well in the days leading up to your session.
- When it’s time for your session, ensure you arrive with clean, makeup free skin.
Preparing for your Session
Everyone wants to look good in a photo, and that’s especially true for portrait sessions. The following tips will ensure you not only look your best, but feel it too.
- Hair: Don’t do anything too drastic in the weeks leading up to your session date, just in case something goes wrong. Wash and style as you normally would or take the opportunity to get a blowout at the salon.
- Facial Hair: Guys, if you typically shave then ensure you’re clean shaven. If you sport a beard, mustache or goatee, then make sure it’s neatly trimmed and combed through.
- Nails: If you normally have your nails done professionally, then ensure you get yours done a few days before your session date. For the guys and those who prefer short, natural nails- be sure to give them a trim and scrub just before your session.
- Bloat: No-one wants to look like they’re carrying a food-baby so try to avoid heavy, salty meals in the hours prior to your session. Being bloated makes you feel uncomfortable and it shows in your photos.
A Note for Parents
It happens all the time; your toddler may be an angel but come session time they don’t want to know a thing about being photographed. I know t can be stressful trying to capture the awesome little person you know they are, so here are a few tips to help:
- If you toddler normally has an afternoon nap, try to schedule your session for after nap-time.
- Make sure your child is comfortable in what they’re wearing.
- Make sure your child is well-fed before your session and you’re welcome to bring some non-messy snacks and water with.
- Talk to your child about the session ahead of time, telling them what you will be doing and how much fun it will be.
- During your session the easiest way to get your child to smile naturally is to make them laugh. Urging them to smile never gives you a natural smile so by all means stand behind me and pull funny faces to get a giggle out of them.
- Bribery is always an option, however make sure you have their favorite non-messy treat with you. It works much easier if your child can see their treat than to wait for the promise of it afterwards.
If all else fails and your child does not want to photographed, just take a deep breath and relax- nothing is ever perfect, no matter how much you want it to be.
After your Session
Your Online Gallery
With your portrait session wrapped, your photos are backed up with the best photos being selected and lightly edited. These are then uploaded to a private online gallery for you to view and select your photos for final editing and retouching; a process that takes between 7-10 days after receiving your selection.
Extra Digital Images
While you may have booked a package for a set amount of edited images, you’re also welcome to purchase additional images during the selection stage. These are priced at R100 per studio image and R65 per outdoor image, and include full editing and retouching.
At the selection stage you’re also welcome to purchase high quality prints like canvases, wood mounts, folio boxes and more via the built-in online store in your gallery. You will also still have your online store available for the duration that your gallery is online meaning you can purchase prints after final delivery too.