Preparing for your Session
Everyone wants to look good in a photo, and that’s especially true for portrait sessions. The following tips will ensure you not only look your best, but feel it too.
- Hair: Don’t do anything too drastic in the weeks leading up to your session date, just in case something goes wrong. Wash and style as you normally would or take the opportunity to get a blowout at the salon.
- Facial Hair: Guys, if you typically shave then ensure you’re clean shaven. If you sport a beard, mustache or goatee, then make sure it’s neatly trimmed and combed through.
- Makeup: Ladies, take the chance to treat yourself and book with a makeup artist who ensures you look absolutely amazing. If you’re not the makeup type, then ensure you at least wear mascara and lip balm as it helps your features to really ‘pop’ on a photo.
- Nails: If you normally have your nails done professionally, then ensure you get yours done a few days before your session date. For the guys and those who prefer short, natural nails- be sure to give them a trim and scrub just before your session.
- Skin: The week leading up to your session date is definitely not the time to try something new like your first spray tan or a chemical peel. Be sure to care for your skin the week before your session: drink plenty of water, moisturise and don’t forget the sunscreen! Don’t worry about blemishes as they are gone in a few clicks in post-production, but sunburn and tan lines are more difficult to correct.
- Bloat: No-one wants to look like they’re carrying a food-baby so try to avoid heavy, salty meals in the hours prior to your session. Being bloated makes you feel uncomfortable and it shows in your photos.
After your Session
With your portrait session wrapped, your photos are then backed up and the selection process begins as I choose all of the best photos. From there I do the first stage of editing to perfect the overall stylised look of your photos; it’s at this point that you get the opportunity to select your photos from a private online gallery and purchase extras and prints if you so wish.
Once I have your selection, it’s time for more advanced editing to ensure you look your natural best; a process that takes between 7 and 10 days. Once your photos are fully processed, they are uploaded to your own private online gallery where they are accessible from any device with an internet connection for the next 12 months.